Caries, commonly known as tooth decay is a multifactorial disease of bacterial origin, and due to the huge scale of tooth decay, it’s a modern-day epidemic. History tells us that hundreds of years ago human teeth were in much better condition, despite poor oral hygiene. - What was so special about them? Food!
Are you a sweet person?
Today we are eating processed food, which contains preservatives, chemicals and a huge amount of sugar, with the average daily intake of sugar for an adult in the UK is much higher than recommended, and it’s claimed that sugar is the main factor in decay epidemic.
Why should you be afraid of caries?
Tooth decay (caries) starts when mouth acids attack tooth enamel. The first stage is quiet and invisible. Oral bacteria, which live in dental plaque, feeds itself with sugars and produces lactic acid. The acid lowers the pH of the tooth's surface, stripping it of minerals and causing tooth decay. Regular exposure of tooth enamel to acids dissolves the surface of the enamel. White spot lesions and even cracks and grooves or other imperfections will appear on teeth.
These indicators are early warning signs of signs caries and if not managed can lead to further issues. If acids and bacteria attack isn’t stopped, it will lead to total damage of the tooth enamel, which will be clearly visible as a pit or hole in a tooth and followed by a toothache.
Once the enamel is penetrated, the infection will spread to internal parts of the tooth - the dentin and the pulp. This is the latest stage when you must urgently see your dentist, otherwise, the tooth may not repairable and this will lead to complete tooth loss.
4 beneficial effects of Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles
1. Tooth enamel repair – Hydroxyapatite is the natural component of human teeth. Due to the biocompatibility of hydroxyapatite nanoparticles in oral care products, they can easily integrate with tooth enamel, helping to fill all imperfections on the tooth surface. Defects such as cracks, grooves, and thinner enamel are restored deep down by forming stable and very resistant hydroxyapatite deposits.
2. Whitening and polishing – Improving the tooth surface by filling the crack and imperfections with the protective layer nanoparticles, gives you a smooth covering and the impression of a brighter smile.
3. Desensitising - Sealing exposed dentinal tubules and composing a wash-resistant protective coating eliminates tooth sensitivity from the first application.
4. Anticaries - Hydroxyapatite nanoparticles from toothpaste are equal to the natural hydroxyapatite. These particles have similar effectiveness in binding to fluoride to create fluorapatite, which is the external layer of a tooth. Due to its high durability to acid corrosion, fluorapatite makes teeth more resistant to decay.
VITIS Anticaries Range
VITIS Anticaries Toothpaste contains:
- Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles 0.45%
- Xylitol 10%
- Sodium monofluorophosphate 1.10% (1.450 ppm)
VITIS Anticaries Mouthwash contains:
- Hydroxyapatite Nanoparticles 0.0125%
- Xylitol 3.33%
- Sodium monofluorophosphate 0.172% (2261.450 ppm)
VIEW: VITIS ANTICARIES